The Boulevard South project is a four-story addition and adjacent renovation of existing hospital space to accommodate cardiovascular and neurological testing services, and medical and surgical nursing units. The addition occupies a prominent location on the most heavily traveled roadway in Tuscarawas County and is designed to maintain a commanding presence over the local streetscape. The addition features inpatient and outpatient cardiovascular and neurological services with a dedicated grade entrance and parking, surgical nursing unit with 32 beds, therapy space for wound treatment care in the surgical nursing unit, and a third floor medical nursing unit with 32 beds.
Patient rooms were specified for private occupancy and constructed to accommodate semi-private occupancy during peak demand periods. The project also included renovation of the existing 1st floor space to convert into a pain treatment clinic.
The hospital was built as a significant addition to the existing building. While matching the brick and fenestration rythem, the addition is clearly architecturally marked as a new wing.
Original Union Hospital under construction in 1909.
A large glass atrium space was created, faced with glass, to help heat the building during the wintertime.